Translate

Monday, May 16, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine Blogfest

Click  for a list of other blogs participating in this blogfest.


Yes, I know! I said I was only going to blog on Wednesday and Friday this week, but I already had a commitment (albeit a fun one!) to my blogger pal Leigh at That's Write for her laughter blogfest.  Lydia Kang of The Word is My Oyster is her cohort in this endeavor.


If you haven't visited Leigh's blog yet, please pop by. A couple of weeks ago, at my First Bi-Annual Wonderland Bloggy Awards, she was a recipient of the Instrumental Blog award for being instrumental in helping others navigate the choppy and murky waters of both publishing and public image. I'm not very familiar with Lydia's blog, but after visiting today, I've found it's lovely and informative, so I'll be following her now, too.

Now, without further adieu, here's my writer's joke for the day (then we'll get back to my regularly scheduled writing haitus).  ;)

A linguistics professor was lecturing to a writing class one day . "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."

Heh. I lurv me some sarcasm.

And my own contribution (because I stink at writing jokes but rock at lists) in true Jeff Foxworthy redneck form:

You might be a writer if...

•Your idea of exercise is “running" to Office Depot to stock up on paper and ink.   
•Your car’s navigational system has a special alarm to alert you of approaching coffee shops with wireless internet.   
•Your quiet walk through the woods is preempted by an argument between two colorful characters when there’s no one else around. 
•Your idea of getting out and “bird-watching” is sitting in the mall and eavesdropping on other people’s private conversations so you can polish up a rough stretch of dialogue in your latest WIP. 
•You consider it a good night’s sleep when your head falls to the keyboard without hitting the delete key and erasing a two-thousand word scene. 

Okay, I LIED *evil giggle*. I'm not closing this blog post until I share a link from Agent Goddess's blog from a few years back that I stumbled upon recently. It's fitting for today, since laughter inspires us to feel better. Something else that inspires writers are stories of other writers overcoming adversity and rejection after rejection before finally scoring that win.

By now, most of us have heard about a little book called Prada & Prejudice. The book's author, Mandy Hubbard, did a guest post on my agent's blog back in 2009. At the time she was interning for Jenny when she sold the book. Jenny asked Mandy to share her tumultuous path to publication, and how she and her awesome agent never gave up. Here's the link. Hope it inspires you as much as it does me.

And don't forget to jump over and get a list of blogs to visit today so you can enjoy more writer's jokes and meet some great new bloggers in the process.

Have a FABULOUS Monday, everyone!

51 comments:

  1. Way to go sarcasm!!!! Cool entry :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! I can't believe all the different writing jokes out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing :D I am surprised by how many writerly jokes there are! Yay for us, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks for the Monday morning smile, you little jokester you ;o)

    Looking forward to reading that post--I could use a little inspiration right about now ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy's story IS really inspiring. I read it awhile back and it's helping me as I slog through the sub process. And--I love that particular joke! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Thanks Anita for the laugh to start off another grey & wet & cold work week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet joke, and all of those writerisms are totally true!


    Thank you for joining in on the Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Yeah, right. So funny. This is a cute blogfest. I was just on Kayeleen's blog. She's doing this, too.

    I love Mandy Hubbard's story and her message: it only takes one day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harhar!! I love this one XD

    How are you doing today, lovely? This blogfest is a riot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, this was great! A welcome relief from the humor of my daughter who, at the moment, thinks that sneezing is like the funniest thing ever... It's nice to laugh with adults again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tagged you in a meme in my blog, if you're interested in that sort of thing @ eseckman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know your a writer when...you're so obsessed by your author platform that find yourself thinking in 140 character phrases.

    Fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that writer list. It's so appropriate. And also funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know the writer community has arrived when there are jokes about us.

    And ALL so true *groan*

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI everyone! Thanks for stopping in. This blogfest is a HOOT and a Half, as my grandma would say. ;) Can't answer everyone individually today because I need to go read more posts!

    Hope you all have a HappY Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL - Those were excellent. Love the "You might be a writer" jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the study in sarcasm aka the first joke. Man that list of 'you know you're a writer when...' could go on forever, hell it could probably be its own blogfest.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that! Thanks for sharing, lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all the great laughs :D You have a fabulous Monday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved it and made me smile! Looking forward to reading Mandy's post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hilarious, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  22. He, he. Very cute! Loved the, "You might be a writer" list. :)

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  23. You might be a blogger junkie if you post a 4 in the freaking morning.

    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE that joke! I wrote it down. Yeah, right. Snicker!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahaha! This is great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. So happy to see that I am not the only "bird-watcher" around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always love those tiny voices from the back.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I'm now following you too.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha I love the linguistics one! I had a pretty big dose of sarcasm in my Laughter is Medicine blogfest entry too. ;)

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by! I normally try to respond to each individual but today I'm hitting a TON of blogs and commenting there for the blogfest, so I'd just like to welcome you all and if I haven't hit your blog yet, I should be there soon!

    Bethany, LOL! You crack me up! No, I auto post it at my blogger's 4:00am which in reality is 6:00am because I don't know / or am too lazy to adjust my blog's clock. HEE. I'm not that anal, silly girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Funny, funny! Love the redneck writer quips. :)

    So nice to meet you today, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Blog clock...is that like a biological clock for girls who are done having kids?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice to meet you, Liz!

    Bethany, stop making me SNORT! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ha! Love the writerly jokes!
    I loved Prada and Prejudice. Cute read.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cute, cute, cute post. You must be in the cool girl's clique, I didn't asked to join this blogfest.
    Glad to find ya.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks everyone for the follows and comments! I enjoyed reading and visiting all of your lovely blogs today. Whew. I'm tired. This must be how a bumblebee feels after buzzing around a field of fragrant and delicious clover all day. ;)

    It was so nice to meet you all and I look forward to reading more of your wonderful posts in the future.


    Wanton Redhead WRiting~ Hey there lady! I don't think you had to be picked (no one picked me, I just did it--heehee). Once you signed up (I was # 43 and you were #48) you were welcome to post your joke for the day along with the blogfest info and clipart. Don't feel bad! Several people on the list must've misunderstood, too, because when I visited their posts, they hadn't posted for the blogfest. Anyway, something awesome came of it because I stumbled upon your blog and can follow you now! So all's well that ends well. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, this was fabulous, especially the "You Might Be a Writer" List. Y'know, I think I might be one. O_o

    Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loved your list, its absolutely spot on. We writers do have a unique mindset ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOL - too funny. Love the list. Happy blogfest day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. haha that's funny. I hadn't heard any writer's jokes until this blogfest!

    I made the cut for the "you might be a writer" list.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Where was I yesterday! I totally missed this post! This was awesome and totally made my morning! Thanks for being as awesome as you always are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. LOL!!! Yeah, right. And BAH "running" to Office Depot! :D These are awesome! Thanks, Anita!!!

    And thanks for the bloggie love~ <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  42. heh, good joke, and I loved that list :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love a good laugh. You thought of some good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Rolling on the floor laughing at your own writer if jokes. Those were awesome.

    I've had a really good time at your site tonight Anita.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks again, Donna. :) You have an awesome blog yourself!

    ReplyDelete