Translate

Monday, May 23, 2011

Posie & Mosey Mondays

A posie is a tiny flower bouquet typically given as a gift. In medieval times, they were carried or worn around the head or bodice to keep the bad smells away and the nose happy.

Well, that's kind of what poems are for me. Word posies: little bouquets of words that though smaller than novels, keep my inner reader happy with powerful sensory and emotive cues.

So on Mondays, to keep my blog from getting cobwebs but still maintain my no blogging rule for the day, I'll be gifting you with word posies. Comments will be disabled so you can enjoy the poems then mosey on along to your list of daily do's.*

Also, please drop back by on Wednesday this week. I have a special guest who will be visiting my blog (for the second time) with a REALLY big announcement. Until then, have a lovely and productive Monday and Tuesday.

*Hungry for more indepth Monday posts? Visit any or all of the entertaining and insightful blogs on my sidebar. ;)


THE WHITE RABBIT'S VERSES
~Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

THEY told me you had been to her,
And mentioned me to him;
She gave me a good character,
But said I could not swim.
 
He sent them word I had not gone.
(We know it to be true.)
If she should push the matter on,
What would become of you?
 
I gave her one, they gave him two,
You gave us three or more;
They all returned from him to you,
Though they were mine before.
 
If I or she should chance to be
Involved in this affair,
He trusts to you to set them free,
Exactly as we were.
 
My notion was that you had been
(Before she had this fit)
An obstacle that came between
Him and ourselves and it.
 
Don't let him know she liked them best,
For this must ever be
A secret, kept from all the rest,
Between yourself and me.


**Reprinted from The Hunting of the Snark and Other Poems and Verses. Lewis Carroll. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1903.