Translate

Thursday, March 31, 2011

QueryTrackers Making Tracks, #2


Today is the second of a series on successful authors I've met through QueryTracker.

Some of the authors I'll be spotlighting on Fridays have agents, others have found success in less conventional ways. But, one thing they all have in common is their use of the QueryTracker website, whether for information or emotional support. In some way or other, each of my upcoming guest posters have utilized this amazing online tool to help make their tracks in the publishing world.

For today's author interview, I'd like to welcome David Kazzie, who recently signed with Ann Rittenberg of the Ann Rittenberg Literary Agency, due in no small part to these two videos:








Now onto the interview:

AGH: David, your road to representation took some interesting and unconventional twists and turns. Could you give us a rundown of how you got your agent?

David: I’ve been writing fiction for about 10 years. In that time, I had completed a couple of manuscripts and after finishing each one, I tried to find an agent. As the years went by, I felt like I was improving with each manuscript – getting more responses from agents, more requests for material, but I never was able to find an agent. It did get discouraging.
 
But I kept writing, and last summer, I decided to start writing a humor blog while I figured out which way to go with my fiction. I wrote the So You Want to Go to Law School video in October (now with 1.3 million hits), and then I followed that up with So You Want to Write a Novel in November. As you know, the Novel video went viral in the writing/publishing community, which put me in contact with a number of different agents, including Ann. She read my blog and watched my other videos, we talked about what my future writing plans were, and then she offered to take me on as a client.

AGH: Before you signed with your agent, how many books had you tried to query?

David: I'd queried two different books before signing with Ann. I wrote the first one from 2001-2002, queried about 20 agents, and completely struck out. Honestly, It was a truly terrible book. My villain was a corrupt U.S. Senator, which I've since learned is always a bad, bad sign for your book. I gutted that one and rewrote it, including changing the villain to someone who wasn't such a terrible cliche. I got a few more requests the second time out, and I think it had some good parts, but overall, it was still pretty weak.

I took some time off from writing and started a brand-new manuscript in late 2007. Including revisions, I worked on that for about 18 months.

AGH: What were the responses to those queries (stat-wise: fulls, partials, etc.)

David: Manuscript 1 (and its rewrite) -- collectively, probably about 50 queries. A couple requests for the full.

Manuscript 2: 175 queries. About 12 partial requests and 7 more requests for the full.

AGH: What genres do you write?

David: Crime thrillers. It's one of my favorite genres to read, and I've always been fascinated by the dark side of humanity -- crime, violence, greed, and other bad decisions. I'm particularly interested in the humorous side of all this malfeasance.

AGH: What inspired your very first book idea?

David: Honestly, I used to be terrible at coming up with story ideas. For the first one, I had this idea for the main character whose brother goes missing just as the brother is supposed to reveal some family secret. I started writing without really fleshing out much more than that. I'm still amazed I came up with 325 manuscript pages for that.

Now I've figured out that just about anything can make a good story if you execute the concept the right way. I like to play the "what if" game to come up with story ideas.

AGH: What books / authors have most influenced your own style and concepts?

David: Carl Hiaasen has had the biggest impact on me. I discovered his crime novels about 10 years ago, and it really opened my eyes about how to use satire and comedy in writing thrillers. He's just freaking brilliant. My early manuscripts read like standard thrillers, but I worked hard to inject a lot of dark humor into my last book -- i think it paid off, as it was by far my best work to date, and I think that's my natural style of writing,

My three favorite books are The Stand (I love apocalyptic fiction, and the characters from The Stand just make the book so unbelievably good), Mystic River (hands down, the best crime novel I've ever read) and Lonesome Dove (it's just a kick-ass story).

AGH: How did you find QueryTracker, and how did it help you in your effort to get inside the publishing doors?

David: I don't remember exactly how I found QT -- it must have been through a blog. I'd been using another submission tracking site, but then they revamped their site, and I didn't like the change, so I moved everything over to QT.

I found it to be very helpful in keeping things organized, and it had a lot of up-to-date info on agents and people's experiences submitting. Oh, and finally getting to click on the "Offered Representation" field was pretty awesome too.

AGH: Can you share any current news with us?

David: Nothing right now. I'm more just adjusting to the idea of working with an agent and settling back into writing fiction again.

AGH: Have you recently learned anything about the business side of publishing that you can share with up and coming writers?

David: I think writers need to remember that it IS a business. Publishers have to make money. Agents have to make a living. Rejection isn't personal -- agents and editors know you've poured your heart and soul into your work, but the nature of the business sometimes demands a quick and impersonal rejection.

And yes, I hate to say it -- sometimes luck is involved. Why one book takes off and another doesn't. Why one person gets an agent after 10 queries and another queries 200 agents and has nothing to show for it (even if the books are of relatively similar quality). Always, always act professional. Never respond angrily to a rejection.

That said, social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and industry blogs lets writers get up close with agents and editors on a daily basis. You probably don't want to add an agent you don't know as a FB friend, but you can certainly follow them on Twitter and interact with them (appropriately) in the Twitterverse. Many agencies also have FB fan pages, where you can also interact with people.

AGH: Considering how your YouTube "writing a novel" video went viral and your law school parody has over a million hits (WOW), you appear to be a master at promoting yourself online. Is there any advice you can give those of us who are already or are about to be on the promotional side of our publishing careers (marketing our book trailers, pushing our titles, etc…)?

David: I think it's important that whatever self-promotion you do needs to reflect your identity as a writer. My videos and my blog (and more recently, my Twitter account) have a lot of dark, satirical humor, and so I'm guessing that people will (rightfully) expect that my fiction will be similar in style. Also, never, ever post anything less than your best work. You never know who's watching. 

Also, be polite and friendly. My five-year-old knows this, and yet I still find instances where people don't act friendly. Talk up other people whose work you like. I've made numerous friends and contacts through social media doing that.

As for the videos -- I wish I had a secret formula for making something go viral. With my most successful videos (Law School, Write a Novel, and Facebook), I think I just tapped into what a lot of people were thinking. And the Xtranormal website was the perfect vehicle for my ramblings.

I think there's a lot you can do even without a viral video. Visit other blogs, participate in discussions, play to your strengths. It can be time consuming, but I think it's worthwhile. Plus, you get to meet a lot of cool people.  


Five for fun:

AGH: What’s your favorite breakfast?

David: The egg-and-chicken burrito from Chick-Fil-A. With coffee. Or an asiago cheese bagel with honey-walnut cream cheese. 

AGH: Are you Team Dog or Team Cat?

David: Dog. We have an 11-year-old Lab mix. Although I respect cats and how they don't give a crap about anyone.

AGH: What video games do you play?

David: I grew up on Super Mario Bros. and Nintendo Ice Hockey. I haven't mastered many things in my life, but I dare you to find someone who could've beaten me in Nintendo Ice Hockey in the late 1980s. No, I didn't date a lot. These days I play Lego Star Wars on the Wii with my son.

AGH: When would you go to if you had a time machine, and why?

David: Oh, a dangerous question indeed. If I changed anything about the past, I might not be where I am today, right? Butterfly effect and all. But if you visit the future, you see where you end up, and then the question becomes whether everything you do from now up until that point is predestined. And if you try to avoid it because you don't like how things end up, maybe it's doing those avoidance things that get you to the place you're not happy with.

But let's say you could go anywhere with no effect on the timeline -- sort of like watching a replay. I think I'd go back to the day I met my wife and see how the day unfolded. Maybe even the whole week before. I think it would be interesting to see all the little things that had to happen to put me at that place at that moment. It turned out to be the most important day of my life -- but I had no idea for a good part of it.

AGH: Drinking tea … pinky up, or heavy on the Long Island?

David: Long island is my preference. Black tea is my reality. Pinky is never, ever up.


Thank you, David, for sharing your insights and for letting us peek into what makes you unique and successful. And I'd like to point out that, judging by that lovely and swoon-worthy answer you gave to the time machine question above, should you one day have a little daughter who wants you to drink tea with her -- pinkies up -- you'll be a proper English gent and wear a smile on your face the whole time. What a nice guy!

Congratulations on catching that elusive agent, and I wish you much luck and happiness on your climb to the shelves! Don't forget to follow David's blog or tweets as his journey unfolds. He also has a success interview posted at QueryTracker.

Now it's your turn. If you have questions for David --or if you'd simply like to congratulate him and show your support --please leave a comment below!

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Twitter is good for something, because I read the news of your new blog. ::wow!::

    Super-congratulations to you, David. I loved the "So You Want to Write a Novel" video -- that was a riot; I always wondered who was behind it. Hmm ... so now I can say that I know.

    Querying is tough. I've just started and already feel like throwing in the towel. Not because of the rejections -- simply because it's serious, time-intensive day labor. I think that when a writer really knows that he/she has a good manuscript in hand, those rejections don't sting so much. Exemplary talent is almost always recognized. It just might take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I also loved the "So You Want to Write a Novel" video. Very clever and I really enjoyed reading your story (so to speak) But, it did remind me of two things I miss terribly...Chick-Fil-A. And real bagels!

    Congrats to you and will look for you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you made those videos! Congrats on the agent. :-) Thanks for the interview, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone! Thanks to Anita for having me here. And I realized as I re-read my answer to Anita's time machine question -- that today is actually the 12-year anniversary of the day I met my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anita great interview. David, wonderful responses (yes, Anita is right, that answer about your write is very swoon-tastic! I hope she sees your answer) :-)

    Thanks for being so honest about your journey to publication. I found it very encouraging, motivation to just keep moving forward, and I know others will feel the same.

    Have a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa~ I'm so glad you like the blog! And that you found me. ;-) Best of luck to you on those queries. You have a great attitude, so it won't be long for you, I'm sure!

    Brenda~ I know, isn't he hilarious? I couldn't believe when I stumbled upon his QT interview and realized THIS IS THE GUY THAT WROTE THAT? I knew right then I had to have him on. :-) Thanks for stopping in!

    Jessie~ Thanks so much for popping by on your way to work! I hope you have a great day!

    David, thank YOU. And happy 12th anniversary! Your wife is a very lucky lady to have such a thoughtful husband. But how lucky are you to have her, too! Oh, and to have met her on such an easy day to remember!! I mean April 1st, right? You’ll never forget that anniversary. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it possible to be in love with someone you've never met? David--you are absolutely delightful and so stinking funny I nearly ASNR'd cranberry EmergenC on my keyboard!

    Miss Anita, another wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Bethany! And I think David probably won the hearts of all of our female readers after that heartfelt tribute to his bride. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, thanks for stopping in! And wonderful weekend to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anita, thanks for introducing me to the guy behind those videos!

    David, congrats on your agent connection. You're a living example on keeping up with the writing, the improving, and the hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, Anita. I'm kind of a big David Kazzie fan, to the point where it might be deemed unhealthy by medical professionals. But, aside from creating the video that said everything I wanted to say but never knew how, I love how he persevered and never gave up his dream. I myself fall into the trap of thinking if it doesn't happen by a certain point, it's time to move forward. Thanks to people like David, I remember that is the worst thing a writer can do. I'd much rather read about this kind of writer, then say, someone who got lucky in their first batch of queries. Those people have to be robots, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary! Yep, he's pretty dang spectacular. And thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there Paul. Nice to meet one of David's stalkers. LOL.

    You're so right, both about David's inspiring journey, and respecting those writers who have to work extra hard to get there. There's a lot to be said for luck in this biz, but I have so much admiration for writers who in spite of an unlucky start, keep trudging up that mountain until they EARN their dreams. Those are the true success stories, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anita,

    Thanks again to you and all your readers. I really enjoyed doing this and reading all the responses. Have a great weekend, everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anita,

    I loved the interview! The last five questions were awesome. Somehow knowing what someone ate for breakfast makes them seem so much more real.

    I started liking him at the villain senator response. For some reason that made me think romantic thoughts. I don't know what that says about me. What a great guy!

    David, Congrats on all your success!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah, thanks for dropping by! LOL about the villain senator. Not sure what that says about you, but if you'll have a look at the other female comments, you'll see you're in good company. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha,GREAT interview! I actually posted the So You Want to Be A Writer video on my FB page, and now it's so cool to know who the mastermind behind it was!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific interview! So interesting to hear about the journeys of other writers. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Jemi! Yeah, I always find it interesting, because each of us meets success in different ways. It's an inspiration to know that there's no magic formula; just tenacity, talent, and timing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hurrah David! That video (So you want to write a novel) is a corker. And hurrah Anita, my hero! I love this new series and hope one day to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jenny! I know, isn't he funny?

    And I can't wait for the day when you're on my interview list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey there Kaylie! I remember when I first saw that vid. One of my crit pals sent it my way. I would never have predicted I'd meet the fabulous creator and get to interview him one day. Lucky me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for posting this interview, Anita! David's success story is inspiring. I searched for his video on You Tube immediately after reading. In one word: HILARIOUS.

    Sad to think some people really think of a career in writing that way!

    I wish you nothing but the best, David!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, crap. And I just realized the video was up top the entire time!

    Is it time for bed yet? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha, Ashley! No worries! I just assumed they didn't download for some reason for you. They're stinky like that sometimes. LOL

    David really is a very talented writer. I expect we'll be seing all kinds of success from him in the future. :-) Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  26. again, thanks to everyone for all the comments -- you've all made this a fantastic experience.

    All the comments were definitely worth a second read as I sit here Sunday night, staring down the gunbarrel of Monday morning. Mondays are decidedly unimpressed with me and rarely let me forget it.

    ReplyDelete